Trinity Buoy Wharf, located in Tower Hamlets, London is home to London’s only Lighthouse. The lighthouse was built not for navigation, as is normally the case, but as a testing rig for the lights developed by Trinity House for its network of lighthouses and lightships.
The lighthouse was designed by Sir James Douglass, who also designed, amongst others, the Eddystone Lighthouse in Plymouth. Built in 1894 the workshops next to the main tower was used by Michael Faraday for his workshop experimenting in electric lighting on behalf of Trinty House.
The lighthouse is now home to the Longplayer Project. The Longplayer is a 1000 year long piece of music which started to play on the 1st January 2000 and will continue to play, without repetition, until the 31st December 2999, when it will come back to the point at which it began – and begin again.
If you wish to visit the lighthouse it is open to the public every first Sunday of the month, with views over the Millennium Dome and towards Canary Wharf it is well worth a trip.